From a Google search: What do I need to know about middle school
These kind of stood out on the first page … and … there were 528,000,000 more results!
Seems to be a right comprehensive site covering:
- Adolescent brain development
- How to talk to
- What to expect for writing and math
- Social life
- Gender differences
- Supplies list
- Activities and worksheets
Nice summary for parents discussing:
- They crave structure, but push against it.
- They need to feel a sense of independence and safety at the same time.
- They don’t think before they act.
- Parental discipline
- Be consistent with what you say and do.
- You are not their friend and they don’t need you to be their friend.
- They can rationalize things, but they are not necessarily rational.
- Always get to know your kids friends.
- Be in touch with your child’s teachers throughout the school year
- Make your child bring their work home for you to see it every night.
- Check the school website to know what’s going on.
(This website is worth a visit just to see how nicely set up and informative one can be.)
Written by middle-schoolers for middle-schoolers – a bunch of observations and tips. Could be supportive reading for your middle-schooler,
A bunch of comments posted by middle-schoolers. The variety of viewpoints is interesting and insightful.
Published on Feb 12, 2013 – 11 minute video
When 13 year-old Logan LaPlante grows up, he wants to be happy and healthy. He discusses how hacking his education is helping him achieve this goal.